Have you ever heard about erectile dysfunction? If you have, then you know how frustrating and emotional of a problem it could be, but for those who are still unfamiliar with this condition and want to learn more about it, then this is the right article to be reading.
According to statistics, there is around 15 to 30 million men that are affected by this medical condition, and this according to NIDDK or the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
With numbers so high, it makes people wonder what it is and what causes such condition. Erectile dysfunction is not a medical condition taken lightly by men who have it. Besides the physical changes, there are also emotional issues tied into those who have it.
Of course it is a whole different scenario if you do not have it because you do not understand fully what men who are diagnosed with it have to go through. Continue to read on to find out more about the essential facts about erectile dysfunction so that you can understand it much deeper.
This medical condition is also known as impotence and also commonly referred to ED. It is one of the most common types of male sexual dysfunction in which men who have it go through certain changes in their reproductive organ.
To go a bit more detailed, erectile dysfunction is when a male can no longer get or keep up an erection firm throughout sexual intercourse. Although it may not seem so serious, those who have it feel much differently.
Having this medical condition could be an ongoing problem for men diagnosed with it. Not only does it affect them individually as a man, but it could also cause frustration, stress, and lower self- confidence, it could cause problems with their significant other.
A man’s erection is when there is an increase of blood flow to penis during sexual excitement. When a man gets sexually stimulated, the muscles in the penis tend to relax wherein the blood flow increases through several of its blood vessels.
As the blood fills up the cavites within the penis, the pressure on the veins also increases. As this occurs, the penis then fills up and engorges and becomes hard. Erectile dysfunction is when there is an interruption in the whole process leading to a flaccid penis which generally also interferes with sexual activities.
The best possible step to take when erectile dysfunction is suspected is to talk to your health care professional regarding the issue. The only downfall is that many men may find it awkward to talk to a doctor about erectile dysfunction, but professionals are the best person to talk to. An evaluation is needed to determine the problem.
If you notice problems with getting or keeping up an erection, this could be a possible sign of a health condition that needs proper medical treatment such as poorly controlled diabetes and / or heart disease. One way of treatment for ED is treating the underlying condition to possible reverse erectile dysfunction.
There are really no formal tests to help diagnose ED. During some times, blood works could be done to exclude the underlying disease such as prolactinoma and hypogonadism. Some of the procedures could be done if ED is suspected:
There are certain methods health care professionals will prescribe to help cure for Erectile Dysfunction.
Like mentioned above, treating the underlying medical condition is one way to possibly reverse erectile dysfunction, but that is only if there is an existing illness. Other measures that doctors will try for helping cure ED are the following:
1. Pills: There are pills out in the market today that doctors will prescribe if they conclude a patient to have erectile dysfunction.
Some medications such as Cialis (tadalafil), Levitra (vardenafil) and Viagra are the most common prescription medicine that could be given by your healthcare provider. They help fight erectile dysfunction by helping the smooth muscles relaxation within the penis which could potentially increase the blood flow where erection could occur. Pills are usually considered safe but come with a few minor side effects such as sinus congestion, headaches, indigestion.
There are also tablets called ProSolution™ that also help in increasing erections and boosting the overall sexual experience for men. These tablets are “natural male enhancement pills” that could be order online. No prescription is needed and has proven results.
2. Injection: If oral medicine does not work, your doctor might also suggest medication through injection. The site is at the base or at the side of the male genitalia. A drug that is known as an effective injectable is alprostadil which is an artificial version of prostaglandin E1. There are some injections that need a mixture of other drugs such as alpha-blocker, phentolamine, orvasodilator and papaverine to help in its effectiveness.
3. Suppositories: For men who have a fear for needles, suppositories could be utilized instead. MUSE is a suppository which contains a drug called alprostadil and is also as effective as injections. It is inserted in the males urethra and absorbs the drug.
4. Penis pumps: This device is known to effectively increase the flow of blood to the penis and is available over the counter at costs that are affordable.
5. Constriction rings: This is an item worn around the penis’ base where it could slow down the speed wherein blood leaves the penis. It could help prolong erection but should not be used for more than 30 minutes.
6. Implants and surgery: There are also implants that are available for men who have ED. Besides implants, surgery is another option to consider. These procedures are more invasive and are a bit more expensive compared to the other options for treatment.
Erectile dysfunction does not have to be a challenging condition to have. Consulting your doctor about your situation and possible options is recommended to help cure and /or reverse ED.